- Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 December 2012 21:30
Saffron Books' current affairs series, Saffron Contemporary Middle East Series, was launched in May 2005 and is currently actively engaged in an extensive publication programme, with calls for papers from the leading authorities in the field.
Call for Papers / Manuscripts
Authors who wish to contribute to the series are invited to submit their proposals to the Commissioning Editor at the address below.
Authors and contributors can also use the form below to submit queries or proposals.
Volume I No 1
Volume I No 1 [2005 / 1] of the Papers is titled, 'Promoting Democracy and State Building in Palestine: Donor Assistance to the Palestinian Legislative Council,' and is authored by Dr Guilain P Denoeux, Professor of Government at Colby College, Waterville, Maine and Professor Robert Springborg, Director of the Middle East Institute (LMEI),University of London.
The launch coincided with a panel discussion focused on the subject of the first paper in the series, which was led by Professor Springborg. Other panellists included Husam Zomlot, Deputy Palestinian General Delegate to the UK; Michael Anderson, Head of Middle East and North Africa Dept, Department for International Development and Ethan Goldrich, First Secretary at the United States Embassy in London.
Saffron Papers on the Contemporary Middle East will consist of in-depth analytical papers each year, dealing with contemporary political, economic and social issues in the Middle East and North Africa region, spanning Morocco to Iran.
Volume I No 1 [2005 / 1]
Promoting Democracy and State Building in Palestine: Donor Assistance to the Palestinian Legislative Council
Guilain P Denoeux and Robert Springborg
Series ISSN 1747-1788
Book ISBN 1 872843 66 2
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- The Authors
- Part One | The PLC's Multiple Roles
- Outsiders Looking In
- The PLC's True Mandate and Significance
- Political Integration and Nation-building
- Democracy-building / Good Governance Promotion
- Part Two | PLC Capacities and the Impacts of USAID Assistance
- Starting Points: Capacities in 1996
- Project Approaches to Capacity Building
- Coping with a Challenging Context
- Administration and Management
- Part Three | Lessons Learned
- Lessons Learned from Project Accomplishments
- Lessons Learned from the Projects' Shortcomings or Limitations
- Part Four | Recommendations
- Rationale for Possible Future Assistance
- Guidelines for Future Assistance
- Partial List of Persons Interviewed